Monday, August 9, 2010

Rejection? Rejoice!

Another Life was rejected by six film festivals.

While some people frame their rejection letters, I'm not so cocky. When I read an e-mail that starts with, "We regret to inform you that your film was not selected..." it ruins my week.

But last week, I gave myself three reasons to move on and rejoice:

1) Another Life was featured on Hollywood University! Get the full scoop here!

2) After searching for months, I joined a new Writer's Group. Not only are all the writers talented and hard-working, but they're all so easy to get along with and great note-givers. I'm glad to know them all before they become rich and famous :)

Last week, they gave me some good notes on my horror feature and this week they'll give me notes on my action feature -- just in time for my next Hollywood Hotshots meeting!

I think this is the beginning of some beautiful friendships.

3) After seeing Shakespeare by the Sea last night with some good friends, a newly-made acquaintance told me that she just saw Another Life -- and she loved it.

And it's for moments like these that made me want to write and direct.

Last week, I let the cat (or squirrel) out of the bag and revealed my past as a child voice actor on Animaniacs. This week, I'll tell you how I went from there to here:
While I once thought about going back into voice acting, when puberty hit and my voice cracked, that pretty much killed my career as a child voice actor. I did work on my acting in high school, but as I found myself re-watching some of my Dad's shows, I was instilled with a love of good writing and great movies.

If you watch Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, or Pinky and the Brain closely, you'll see episodes that are obvious homages to classic American films like Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, and The Third Man. So instead of going back into children's TV, I dug deeper into this inspiration in great American films, worked on my own writing and directing, and approached my career from there.
But that's all I can say for now! Check out my full video interview on That Guy with The Glasses later this week along with other Animaniacs' greats like Sherri Stoner, Paul Rugg, John P. McCann, and Tom Ruegger!

So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment